Do you really love the new Firefox favicon that was released a short while ago? Well, thanks to a little shifting around of Firefox’s internal organs Mozilla Links has come up with a way you can update your search box’s Google favicon to match. Here are the instructions:
- Locate the searchplugins folder in your Firefox install folder. (typically C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ on Windows).
- Open the google.xml file with a text editor.
- Locate a section that starts with <Image width=”16″ height=”16″>. You will see it is followed by a long series of characters (the encoded Google icon).
- Replace it with this equally unreadable code: the new encoded Google icon. Ensure the closing </Image> stays there.
- Save the file and restart Firefox.
If your picky about this sort of thing, or you just really love the new look this is a quick and easy hack to do. Also check out Mozilla Links for more information on this awesome tip.