Worried somebody is going to snoop around on what you are doing from within Firefox? Have no fear! Although private browsing hasn’t made its way to Firefox yet, you can still clear your private data in Firefox very easily.
What is Firefox Saving About Me?
Now the first question you may have is what type of content is saved by Firefox?
- Browsing History: contains a log web locations you have previously visited.
- Download History: keeps a list of files you’ve downloaded.
- Saved Form and Search History: contains a list of phrases you have entered in text fields, such as web searches, and name and address fields.
- Cache: stores temporary files, such as web pages and other online media, that you have downloaded from the Internet.
- Cookies: stores files created by web sites, that store information on your computer, such as your preferences when visiting that site. (When a web site has a “remember this” check box, they are using a cookie.)
- Offline Website Data: information web sites have stored on your computer for use without an internet connection.
- Saved Passwords: contains a list of user names and passwords you have opted to have Firefox remember.
- Authenticated Sessions: keeps you logged into secure web sites, you have already used the password manager to log in to.
Firefox makes it very simple to clear a few or all of these settings. From the top of Firefox, in the menu bar – select Tools > Clear Private Data. (You can also pull this up by using the keyboard combination Ctrl + Shift + Del ) Check mark the data you want to clear, then click on, to clear the data; or click on , to close the Clear Private Data window, without clearing any private data.
How to Automate the Private Data Cleaning
I have my Firefox set to clear certain private data when I close Firefox. To do this, go to Tools > Options and then click on the Privacy Tab. From there, look at the settings listed under Private Data. you have the option to:
- Always clear my private data when I close Firefox
- Ask me before clearing private data
Clicking on the “Settings” will allow you to choose what is cleared when you exit Firefox.