We have looked at the ten most popular search extensions for Firefox, however we can not overlook the many popular search engines you can add to the Firefox search box.
Most Popular Search Plugins for Firefox *
- YouTube – Find all kinds of cool web videos.
- IMDB – Quickly find that one actor that was in that movie you just saw.
- Wikipedia – The web’s encyclopedia.
- Album-Cover-Art.org – Quickly find album art from your favorite musical artists.
- isoHunt – BT search – Find ISO images quickly using this search plugin.
- Merriam-Webster – It is like the dictionary, but Online! (insert ooh and awe here)
- Live Search – Microsoft’s lovable underdog of a search engine.
- Flickr – Find photos by searching via the image tags.
- Weather Channel – Is that a tornado in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?
- Amazon – Use Amazon’s A9 search to find Amazon products, and anything else on the Web.
Roll Your Own Search Plugin
Want to roll your own search plugin using any web site search box out there. That is an easy task to accomplish with the Add to Search Bar extension. If you want to “do it by hand” you can also create your own plugins with this handy tutorial from the Mozilla Developer Center.
More Search Plugin Databases
Now with those mentioned, you can’t mention the search engine box without mentioning the MyCroft project. There you can find a search engine plugin or search provider that you can quickly add to the Firefox search box.
To check out their most popular search engines, be sure to check out the Top 100 listings.
What tools and plugins do you use to keep your searching in order?
* – Yes,I left Google off the popular plugin list, cause everybody knows about Google.