Optimized Firefox for Windows?

Optimized Firefox

The Pale Moon Project says they can get Firefox to perform 25% faster, through the art of optimization.  You see, the Pale Moon Project is all about creating a custom-built and optimized Firefox browser for Windows users to enjoy.

Are you interested? Here are a few more features Pale Moon has:

• Highly optimized for current processors
  • 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
  • Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
  • Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
  • Support for SVG and Canvas
  • Support for Firefox extensions, themes and personas

You can also get more geeky details on the differences on Pale Moon’s Technical Details page.

Now for my word of warning. The way this works is you install Pale Moon’s own version of Firefox, and use it – rather than the default Mozilla browser. I have not tried this yet myself, because I am not sure if it stands alone as it’s own browser or over-rides the default Firefox browser.

If you give it a shot – please leave your reviews in the comments!  Also, big thanks goes out to Ramadas from our Facebook Fan Page who gave me the suggestion to check this neat download out in the first place.  You can learn more about Pale Moon over at palemoon.org.

, , , , ,

9 Responses to Optimized Firefox for Windows?

1. Mitch Oct/20 at 7:55 am #

To make sure it doesn’t mess up your current Firefox install, try the portable version here: http://bit.ly/9rT7lF (thanks to HannibalCat via Twitter for that tip!)

2. Ramadas Oct/20 at 8:12 am #

Pale Moon is now my default browser. It works great and it imported all my settings from Firefox without a hitch. All my addons work. If you are desperate you can have Firefox and Blue Moon running at the same time.

3. Dwight Stegall Oct/20 at 10:15 am #

I agree with everything Ramadas said. Except I wasn’t able to set Palemoon as my default browser. I even went into the Default Programs section of Windows Control Panel and it still wouldn’t work. Now neither Palemoon or Firefox will allow me to set them as default browser. Palemoon does seem to be faster.

I’m using an Asus G73JH Gamer’s Notebook with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

• Dwight Stegall Nov/01 at 8:30 pm #

Also it doesn’t work with web-based Gmail.

4. Matt Hartley Oct/23 at 7:37 pm #

Sounds like the Windows answer to Swiftfox, (GetSwiftfox.com) for Linux systems? Swiftfox is on the same page with CPU optimization for a given architecture, tweaked Firefox config for speed, etc.

• Mitch Oct/25 at 7:15 am #

Very cool, I had not heard about that one either – but checking it out today when I get off work. Thanks! :D

5. Dave Oct/24 at 6:12 am #

I’ve used Pale Moon in the past and can confirm that when I deleted it it wiped my Firefox settings, bookmarks and add-ons as well.

6. lefid3 Oct/29 at 3:01 pm #

I really don’t see any noticeable difference, with the disadvantage of no autoupdate when there are security patches like the current 3.6.12. What I am looking for is a custom build that start up faster than Firefox.

7. Dwight Stegall Nov/01 at 8:35 pm #

I changed the User Agent String to Firefox 4.0b6 and Palemoon still won’t work with web-based Gmail.