Goodbye Status Bar, Hello Add-on Bar

One of the biggest complaints I have read about Firefox 4 is that Mozilla has eliminated the status bar we have all grown to be accustom to. However, just to prove that Mozilla does listen to the fans – they have given us a replacement, sort of.  The status bar might be gone – but now we have the add-on bar.

To see the add-on bar in Firefox 4, all you need to do is right-click on the navigation toolbar, and select Add-on Bar to be seen from the selection of toolbars you can hide or unhide from your default view:

Add the Add-on Bar in Firefox 4

Once selected, you will see a new toolbar across the bottom of your window that will be home to some of your add-ons that wish to live there.  For example, this is what AdBlock Plus looks like in the new add-on bar.

Firefox 4 and the Add-on Bar

Now, I know this is not a perfect fix – however it does give you a place to keep some of your add-ons that you like to keep handy at all times.

Is there an add-on to give us the old status bar back?

Yes, there is.  Thanks to Ben from the comments, I found the add-on named Status 4 Evar.  This extension will bring the status bar widgets and progress indicators back to Firefox 4.

Personally, I think I will try to live without the status bar or add-on bar for a while and see if I can get used to it. How about you? Do you like that add-on bar? Want the status bar back? Maybe you enjoy not having anything down there at all?

, , , , ,

10 Responses to Goodbye Status Bar, Hello Add-on Bar

1. Wolf Jan/19 at 8:42 am #

Why on earth would Mozilla remove the status bar?? What were they smoking? I guess this means that when I am forced to upgrade to version 4, I will *definitely* be installing that add-on, because I find the status bar too useful not to have it.

2. tux. Jan/19 at 8:59 am #

A status bar is 1) a visible “border” of the window, looks quite chopped off without it; 2) an important place to see status messages. A pity that Mozilla thinks Google’s way is the right way. Seriously, an add-on bar as a status bar replacement, WTF? …

3. bobby Jan/19 at 9:52 am #

Doesn’t URL tooltips addon work in FF4?

4. Fabiano G. Souza Jan/19 at 11:19 am #

I want my status bar back! Even Google Chrome has one, albeit most of the time hidden.

5. Lance Jan/19 at 12:03 pm #

i use the status for docking several add-ons. and it does provide an indicator i use when a web site is taking some time to load. it serves a useful purpose and seems unfortunate that FF would eliminate it. we’ve always been free to hide it if we chose to…

6. Peter Jan/22 at 1:19 pm #

I like the new look – did take me a while to see where the URL of links i was mouse-hovering had disappeared to, but that was my only real problem.

I used to have loads of add ons with buttons all over the place, but have come to the realisation that 75% of them i don’t use and certainly didn;t need an entire bar of screen place for.

BTW “Maybe you enjoy not having anything down there at all?” made me LOL

7. Angela Jan/22 at 11:25 pm #

i downloaded Xyan, and i don’t have a status bar OR an Add-On bar that i can find, no matter where i right click. Annyoying, Kinda makes me wanna smoke something. ;~/

8. Mystique Jan/29 at 9:58 pm #

So what was the problem with the firefox 3 where you can choose to have a (full featured) status bar or not, firefox 4 only allows half featured addons to try fill the gap and/or an even worse option yet an addon bar that is larger and even more out of place than the old status bar could have ever been.

Seriously this entire debacle is a failure from the get go, give user back the option to have an actual status bar back and be done with it, hell turn the status bar off by default for all I care just give the users an option to choose!

9. bobo-ana Feb/13 at 5:33 pm #

I cant live without seeing the status-bar

10. Hostillian Feb/14 at 8:48 am #

Yep..
    Also not liking the removal of the status bar.
    I had some nice addon buttons there and the add-on bar replacement looks like a cheap…er… addon.

With a ‘close’ X button about a micron from by first button on the toolbar, it’s not a forward step..

H