Shrink the Firefox 4 Add-on Bar

Barlesque for Firefox 4If there was one thing I could say about the new Firefox 4 layout and design, it would be that minimal is the new black.  It seems that moving forward we are going to get less and less user interface. So, to help follow that eventual trend in design – let us go ahead and shrink the new Add-on Bar down some with Barlesque.

Barlesque is a Firefox 4+ extension that will do the job.  Once installed, make sure you have the Add-on Bar turned on (by going to View > Toolbars > Add-on Bar under the Firefox button).  You should then see that the Add-on Bar is no longer across the bottom of the window.  It is now collapsed into the corner of the screen.  This way the add-on bar will only take up a fraction of your overall screen real estate.

You have the option to place the icons from the Add-on Bar either to the bottom left or bottom right parts of the screen too.

You can pick up Barlesque from the Mozilla Add-ons website.

, , , , , ,

8 Responses to Shrink the Firefox 4 Add-on Bar

1. thll Mar/08 at 7:49 am #

check out this awesome addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/vertical-tabs/

• Mitch Mar/09 at 7:34 am #

Thanks for the suggestion!

2. Glenn Mar/08 at 10:38 am #

Minimal is good; I like minimal. (FWIW, there are a couple [or more] styles at userstyles.org that do something similar with just a little CSS. Now, back to minimal…) Why is it, though, that the new Firefox Button has a dropmarker that does… nothing? Why is it there at all? You have to click on the ‘Firefox’ to open the menu; clicking on the dropmarker does nothing (so I just hide it with CSS–more “minimal”). And why all the unused space to the right of the button? Just move the tabs up there (as with a maximized window) to reclaim all that “wasted” space. (Down with the status bar! down with the menu bar! down with the window title! and then leave empty space… huh?) Well, OK, I do that with CSS, too, so no wasted space [on chrome]. :D (I’m starting to really like the new Fx4 interface.Go figure.)

3. Jason Mar/08 at 7:33 pm #

Good post, I personally use chrome but if I do use firefox I will shrink the menu.

4. Glenn Mar/09 at 12:55 am #

Just for fun, I tried out Barlesque… a little weirdness–every page at AMO “stutter-stepped” with it enabled… the unformatted text version would flash for a moment, then the page would get its typical formatting (maybe a conflict with another extension? [but I only have a few installed for now... maybe something to play with later on]). Also, it doesn’t work too well with personas/themes that use a light text color on a dark background–Barlesque forces a white background (so, not that easy to read text). But other than that, it works well enough, I guess.

• Mitch Mar/09 at 7:32 am #

Good to know – hadn’t tried it with Personas yet. :)

5. Buzz Mar/12 at 10:28 pm #

Hey Mitch

I appreciate the tips on Firefox! I tried the Graphite theme and dig it. I have this love hate thing going on with Firefox though now since it froze up and killed my last pc cause it clicked me over to work offline mode- without approval from me! Why does such an otherwise smart system have such strange glitches.

6. Hosted IP PBX Mar/13 at 3:04 am #

Such a usefule blog wow !!!!. Thank you for posting this, Its really nice, cool and informative blog. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. Thanks again.