Bring Back the Back Button History

imageSome people have been emailing me and letting me know they miss the drop down history list that used to be by the back/forward buttons in Firefox 3.6.  If you check out the browser interface of Firefox 4 – it appears this feature was stripped away.  Was it really?

Definitely not.  You just have to reach it in a different way.

To bring up a quick list of links you have previously browser to, simply right-click on the back button in Firefox 4. When you do so, the old drop down history list pops back up in all its glory – with up to 10 previous pages you have navigated to.

Now, I do understand they did this to cut down on the clutter – however if I had not accidently right-clicked the back button to find it, I would have never known the functionality was there.

, , , , ,

6 Responses to Bring Back the Back Button History

1. jcard21 Apr/06 at 7:11 am #

I’ve always found it easier to use Ctrl+H to open the History Sidebar. Then, just Ctrl+H to close it again.

2. eyescovered Apr/06 at 7:25 am #

You can also left click and hold the back button to get the same menu. Highlighting and releasing the mouse button will navigate you back to that page.

3. Glenn Apr/06 at 11:14 am #

The right-click, history as context function/feature for the back/forward button(s) has been part of Firefox for years, since the very first version. People just don’t right-click enough… lots of interesting stuff available via context menus.

4. Ben Apr/06 at 2:18 pm #

For people wanting the dropmarker back in Firefox 4, there’s an addon for that: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/backforward-dropmarker/

5. Dwight Stegall Apr/09 at 1:45 am #

I found it easily. Whenever a new version is released I click on everything I see with the right, center wheel, and right mouse buttons to see if anything new has been added.

6. Catherine Smith Apr/14 at 7:50 am #

Thank you Mitch. I, too will try some left and right clicking
    to discover more buried secrets.