This add-on lets you create a short URL for the current page or selected link using the URL shortener of your choice.
Tag Archives | short
Shortest URL shortener ever shortens the current page’s URL and copies it to the clipboard with a single click.
There are dozens of add-ons for Firefox that will generate any number of tiny URLs from any number of link shortening services. With that said, I have one more to toss into the category, that may be a little more visually pleasing than some others I have shown you in the past. The TinyURL Generator is a tiny extension in its own right that allows you to quickly.. well, generate a TinyURL to share.
It creates a TinyURL for the page you are currently viewing in the background. The URL created is then copied to your clipboard, so that you can paste it anywhere you might need it instantly. Here are a few more ways you can generate your sharable links:
- Simply click the icon. A TinyURL is created as defined in the options dialog (default is normal TinyURL)
- Right-Click the icon. This will give you the choice to create a normal TinyURL or one which is ‘Previewable’. The default type is shown in bold. This can be changed using the Optioins dialog.
- Right Click any link on a page and select ‘Create TinyURL’ to create a TinyURL for the link destination.
In need of shortening a long URL into a short one? Now, I don’t have to tell you that there are a plethora of services out there to do this for you, however I think I may have found my new favorite way of doing so in Firefox.
Shorten URL, an extension for Firefox will do this for you. From the context menu, you can quickly shorten any link or web page’s URL into one that is easier to share. Once installed, you can launch the link shortener in a number of different ways. Right-clicking any link will give you the “Shorten this link URL” in the context menu. Also right-clicking on any page will do the same. You can even even launch the link shortener for a specific frame too.
Here are some of the other Shorten URL features:
- Automatically copy to clipboard (disabled by default)
- Automatically post to Twitter (disabled by default)
- Supports 35 URL shortening services
Everybody loves to share links with the various URL shorteners out there, however – when you do click one of these links the problem is you have no clue where you are really going. LongURL.org is looking to fix that problem and has two neat tools to help you get it done.
The LongURL Mobile Expander lets you expand those links no matter where you are at. By default, you would paste the link into the LongURL.org web site to find out where you are going. You can build this into your browser though if you pick up either the Firefox extension for it or the Greasemonkey script. Both will give you the true URL when you hover over the shortened link.
- Download the LongURL Mobile Expander Add-on for Firefox
- Download the LongURL Mobile Expander Greasemonkey Script
Here is a list of the supported services: tinyurl.com, is.gd, ping.fm, ur1.ca, bit.ly, snipurl.com, tweetburner.com, metamark.net, url.ie, x.se, 6url.com, yep.it, piurl.com, and more!
Now you will always know where those tiny URLs are taking you.