The beauty of Greasemonkey is it can practically make anything better – even YouTube. Now it can’t make the idiots smacking themselves in the face with flaming bags of poo smarter, but it can give you a better way of viewing, downloading and sharing their misfortunes with your own crew of friends. Here is the Firefox Facts round up of some of the newest and the best Greasemonkey scripts to make YouTube really better.
1. Youtube Get FLV URL – Grab the URL for the .flv file so you can save the YouTube video to your desktop.
2. BetterTube – A number of hacks and fixes to try to make YouTube video (and other providers) better.
3. YouTube Relinker – This replaces YouTube embedded videos with a link to watch it on YouTube.com.
4. Videoembed – Auto adds the embed codes so you can watch videos in a screen right under the links.
5. YouTube Country Server Selector – Replaces YouTube embedded videos server with your country server or the one that you wish to use.
6. Video Focus v1.0.7 – Allows you to remove all the rest of the page content so you can focus right on the video you want to watch. You can also resize or maximize the video centered on the site.
7. Youtube Alternate Video Player – Replace the YouTube default player with the one from flowplayer.org.
8. YouTube Lyrics – Want to know the words to that video your watching? This script places a lyrics search link on the video’s page.
9. Pop YouTube Video Into Sidebar – Does exactly what you would think it does. Pushes your YouTube video to the sidebar in Firefox.
10. YousableTubeFix – Does a number of fixes such as removing ads, download links for videos, displaying all comments for a video and more.
As a side note, to try out any of these on Firefox you will need to make sure you have Greasemonkey installed. Know of any scripts that do the YouTube job better?